Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Holy Uprising - Tue Mar 30

Road Signs for the Journey . . .


"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.
If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.
This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples." John 15:5-8


What images cross your mind when you see a railroad crossing sign? The train whistle, the bell clinging, the red light flashing? Most likely, these are strong, clear warning signs that help us stay out of the way when a train is coming. Railroad signs are there to keep us safe.

Detour signs are there to help us find our way when a road is blocked because it is not safe. We have to follow all the detour signs carefully until we’re back on the road, and on the other side of the blocked section. If we don’t follow the detour signs carefully, we could easily get lost. Detour signs help keep us going in the right direction.


What about “road signs” from God? Road signs in the Bible?


That might sound kind of odd, because they didn’t have cars in First Century Palestine.

But there is Truth all over the Bible to help guide us and keep us on the right path in our lives. For the past 5+ weeks we've been looking at much of the Truth that God has provided to help us remain in Jesus and bear much fruit. And the journey continues . . .


Look at Proverbs 4:23 – “Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.” This is a verse to help keep us safe – to keep our hearts and emotions safe. It’s like a railroad crossing sign – it says, pay attention! Approach with caution! Don’t disregard the lights and guard rail – pay attention to the warning signs! You MUST guard your heart!


The ten commandments are good detour signs, especially the ‘don’ts’ – don’t commit adultery, don’t murder, don’t have any other gods before me, don’t take the Lord’s name in vain, don’t steal, etc. – these are all ‘signs’ and guidelines that keep us from straying from God’s will for us....they keep us going in the right direction.


What about a stop sign? Read Psalm 46:10 - “Be still and know that I am God.”


And a “yield” sign? What does it remind us to do? Slow down and see if someone else is there.

We see this many times in the Bible when someone is told to 'slow down.' (Good Samaritan (stops to help someone), Esther (prepares the feasts for the king), Jesus (when he was tempted in the wilderness).


The Bible is full of road signs for us. But you must be dwelling in God's Word to see them! You must ask God for the desire to be on HIS journey and then seek His hope in His Word.


What road sign is God putting in your path today?



"I have refused to walk on any evil path,

so that I may remain obedient to your word.

102 I haven’t turned away from your regulations,

for you have taught me well.

103 How sweet your words taste to me;

they are sweeter than honey.

104 Your commandments give me understanding;

no wonder I hate every false way of life.

105 Your word is a lamp to guide my feet

and a light for my path." Psalm 119:101-105

No comments: