Thursday, March 25, 2010

Holy Uprising - Thur Mar 25

My Refuge and Strength

"God is our refuge and strength,

an ever-present help in trouble.

2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way

and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,

3 though its waters roar and foam

and the mountains quake with their surging." Psalm 46:1-3

Can you say with me that the earth as we know it has changed and that the mountains seem to be slipping into the sea? Or is it just me?

The industry in which I own a business has changed dramatically over the last couple of years. There are new regulations, new guidelines, increased demands, and less money. And that was before the economy bottomed out. I’ve wondered lately if as the owner I could fire myself and collect unemployment! Each day brings even more challenges than the day before.

Then there are the challenges of continuing to run a household on a reduced income, being available to aging parents, and keeping up my level of commitment to the non-profit entities that I am invested in.

For me, those things will begin to produce sleepless nights and the physical challenges that that brings with it. The earth beneath me is trembling and my mountains are slipping into the sea.

In the midst of this endless chaos, our church is in the middle of the 40 days of Holy Uprising. I confess to false starts and stops since the beginning of the Lenten season. While I may have waivered, God has been faithful. There are several things that God has continued to impress upon me during this season:

1. My joy is not dependent upon my circumstances.
1 Chronicles 16:10-11: “Glory in His holy name; let the heart of those who seek the Lord be glad. Seek the Lord and His strength.”
True joy comes only from seeking the Lord.

2. Every day I need to give myself entirely to God, to be His instrument, to be set apart anew for His purposes.
Jeremiah 1:5: “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.”
God has given me a job and I must purpose to be available for His job and not be distracted by mine.

3. Make a fresh commitment to be a giver.
Don’t let Satan deceive you into thinking that you have nothing to give. No matter how small or limited it may seem, I need to invest my time, money, all my resources in God’s business. The parable of the talents depicts this quite well (Matthew 25:14-30).

So, if I can live out Psalm 46 and embrace God as my refuge and my strength, not fear, find my joy in the Lord, give myself entirely to Him, and recommit to be a giver in all areas of my life, will my business suddenly begin to thrive?

Maybe – or maybe not. It may well be God’s plan to move me to something else He has in mind for me.

If God chooses to restore my business and my finances, I will rejoice. If God chooses to move me to something else, then I will rejoice. Either way, I know He will use my experiences for His good, no matter how things turn out.

So while the world might say that I’ve failed, I’ve only failed if I fail to seek to live out God’s plan in my life. And that plan includes His joy, living for His purposes, and using the resources God has given me to further His kingdom.

No comments: