Saturday, March 6, 2010

Holy Uprising - Sat Mar 6

FEAR!

Such a simple four letter one syllable word – but it can do so much damage! It comes in all shapes and sizes – fear of failure, fear of exposing one’s self to criticism, fear of saying the wrong things, fear of somehow losing the “things” that make us “happy,” fear of upsetting someone who thinks differently, fear of taking chances, and on and on. Fear is a destructive tool used to quietly hinder the Kingdom of God.

Proverbs 22: 13 The sluggard says, "There is a lion outside!"
or, "I will be murdered in the streets!"

I have faced all of these fears in my life and in my walk with our Savior. I often spoke out of both sides of my mouth depending on who I was hanging with. With Christian or church friends you would hear me saying things like - “God can do all things - His word never returns empty – He is the source of all joy – we need nothing but Him – He will provide – He is the God of all creation.” All truths – All awesome statements about His power that can fuel a true inner peace and confidence in our walk with Him.

2 Corinthians 9: 8And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

But all these truths are useless when I would walk out of the safe zones of church, reading the Word, life group, discipleship groups, encounter, etc. and failed to apply them to my life. I failed to live them out with my wife, children, co-workers, and chance encounters. Fear crept in. Fear of man – not God.

Deuteronomy 6:13 Fear the Lord your God, serve him only…

My man made fear comprised of destructive whispers and thoughts that keep many men stuck on their couches and off God’s battlefield. “Dude, you know all the crap you still have going on in your life – how do you think your Christian friends would feel about some of those sins!” “Following God is too hard – you won’t have any fun anymore – He is a joy kill.” “Your friends at work are going to think you’re crazy – don’t you remember all the things you’ve done with them.” “Dude, you need that drink (or whatever) to take the edge off, nothing wrong with escaping reality – life is too messy sometimes” “A church small group isn’t ready to handle someone like you – you’re not good enough.” “I won’t be able to pay the bills if I give.” “I can’t talk to him about Jesus, I don’t know the bible well enough – I might say the wrong things and do more harm than good.” “I can’t stand my neighbors, let alone love them – I can’t hang out with them.” “I know I would be uncomfortable serving there – someone else is better equipped I am sure – they will step up – maybe I can help next fall when _______ is over.” “I can’t lead other people – I am a failure to God.”

I've had all these thoughts and lies, and numerous others, in the 12 years I have known Christ as my Savior. All I can tell you is -- they are lies! Over time and with the power of God, I have discovered an indescribable joy and peace in serving Him. It hasn’t always been rosy, or easy, but it has been immeasurably more satisfying than the God-substitutes I used to succumb to. Stepping out in faith always starts with a single small step. You don’t have to be a champion sermon giver or Bible expert to spread the gospel. You are certainly not required, nor able, to be perfect in order to serve those in need, be a friend to a single parent neighbor, lead a life group, go on a mission, or do anything involving following Christ. You will have failures and trials along the way – but that is what is awesome about God – He is in control – He has your back – He will forgive all those things you did – no matter how big - He WILL provide – and all it takes is faith! It takes you believing in His promises – It takes you asking Him for the forgiveness and the strength to persevere.

Try Him – I dare you – He will not forsake you. Ask Him for wisdom – His wisdom:

James 3: 13Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. 14But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. 15Such "wisdom" does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil. 16For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.

17But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. 18Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness.

We all need Jesus – We cannot do it on our own. Let's get rid of those foolish fears and follow him without fear of persecution from our circles of influence – Let’s come together and serve the “least of these,” so Jesus will know who we are!

Matthew 25: 37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

No comments: