Friday, February 26, 2010

Holy Uprising - Fri Feb 26

Only God

Read Psalm 86:1-10 . . .

1 Hear, O Lord, and answer me,

for I am poor and needy.

2 Guard my life, for I am devoted to you.

You are my God; save your servant

who trusts in you.

3 Have mercy on me, O Lord,

for I call to you all day long.

4 Bring joy to your servant,

for to you, O Lord,

I lift up my soul.

5 You are forgiving and good, O Lord,

abounding in love to all who call to you.

6 Hear my prayer, O Lord;

listen to my cry for mercy.

7 In the day of my trouble I will call to you,

for you will answer me.

8 Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord;

no deeds can compare with yours.

9 All the nations you have made

will come and worship before you, O Lord;

they will bring glory to your name.

10 For you are great and do marvelous deeds;

you alone are God.



This Psalm is titled 'A Prayer of David.' What strikes you about how David approaches God?

Circle the different terms He uses to describe God? What's significant about each one?

He makes some incredible statements in verses 8-10? How can David be sure of this? How convinced are you that these are true of God?

How does David describe his own condition and need?

Now honestly reflect on your life . . . What keeps you from this kind of dependence on God? Is it not really believing who God is? Or not believing that you have an incredible need of Him with every breath?
Confess your unbelief and ask God to help this prayer become fully yours if it is not.

No comments: