Friday, February 19, 2010

Holy Uprising - Fri Feb 19

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land." 2 Chronicles 7:14

I want to spend one more day dwelling on this Truth before we move on . . .

As I told you yesterday, the context of these words spoken by God to Solomon in 2 Chronicles are that Solomon had just built the Temple, which was God's dwelling place on earth with His people.

In the chapter before (2 Chronicles 6) Solomon had asked God to provide a way for the people to be reconciled to God when they had slipped away from Him. 2 Chronicles 7:14 is what it would look like to invite His presence back into their lives.

I want to think for a minute about this part of that pattern: 'pray and seek my face'.

Prayer so much of the time for me (us) is giving God my list. 'Here's my grocery list of what I need God. Now, git'r done. Please.'

But that's not prayer. That's religious ritual. Or wishful thinking.

Prayer is worship. Prayer is honest, two-way conversation with God in which you sincerely seek His direction, and more importantly seek HIM.

You see in sincere prayer we 'seek His face', because it's all about being in relationship WITH Him.

Now, here's the hard part for me, and you: Prayer takes time and attentiveness. Just like any other relationship we cherish.
Yes, we can and should pray continuously. But we also need time to listen and let God speak. Time when everything else is drowned out, so that we can only hear Him.

But me and you, we're so busy. Right now, you may be thinking of places you need to go or people you need to see or things you need to do.

I dare you to put them aside. For the next 10 or 15 minutes lay them down. If there's something you're afraid you'll forget then write it down, and leave it there.

For the next few moments read Psalm 113 (it's below). Read it slowly. Let the words sink in. Then listen. Tell God what's on your heart. And then be still and listen. Give God all your pain and cares . . . and let Him be God.


Psalm 113:

1 Praise the Lord.Hebrew Hallelu Yah; also in verse 9

">

Praise, O servants of the Lord,

praise the name of the Lord.

2 Let the name of the Lord be praised,

both now and forevermore.

3 From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets,

the name of the Lord is to be praised.

4 The Lord is exalted over all the nations,

his glory above the heavens.

5 Who is like the Lord our God,

the One who sits enthroned on high,

6 who stoops down to look

on the heavens and the earth?

7 He raises the poor from the dust

and lifts the needy from the ash heap;

8 he seats them with princes,

with the princes of their people.

9 He settles the barren woman in her home

as a happy mother of children.

Praise the Lord.

No comments: